Thursday 10 October 2013

A Playlist 'To Make It Better Better Better WAAA'

Many of you have been asking about music lately, WHAT I listen to and WHEN do I listen to music.

I love MUSIC, I can't just pick one genre or decade, there's so much at our finger tips to choose from. I switch my music up as often as I do my training routes...That means ALL the time. I do this for motivation, I find I can get annoyed if I listen to the same playlist over and again. I typically keep it for a week.

When and where to listen to music while running...

I do listen to music currently on majority of my runs because my training is around baby time. Baby time means I train by myself when my awesome husband, Kevin can watch her. When running with others I never bring music with me, conversation takes over instead.

Safety is key when listening to music while running on my lonesome. This means if I'm running on the side of a road I don't have my music or earphones in so that I can hear and focus on what's happening around me. I turn my music on when on sidewalks and/or trails. Even when running on sidewalks/trails it's important to either have one earbud out or your volume turned low enough so that you can hear cyclists and others that could be near.

Something new I've been doing with my music is using it as a reward for meeting a goal. For instance I will treat myself to music if I hit a certain pace by a certain mile or once I make it half way through my run, I'll allow myself to listen for the second portion of my run.

Music while racing... I typically don't use music to race, but I'm considering it for my upcoming marathon since I've trained with it so much. I like that when I have my music on I can't hear myself breathing (I know it's good to hear how your doing aka listen to the body) because I feel mentally stronger if I don't hear myself tired. Not sure if that makes since for anyone else but it works for me! When racing I need to have set music that is upbeat enough to keep my tempo up, if it's too slow my pace naturally slows. A lot of strategy goes into making a playlist if I race with it. Starting songs will be a little more chill till I get into my tempo and then they will pick up.

So now to what you are all really wanting to know...What I'm listening to. Currently due to being inspired by the latest episodes of Glee (tribute to the Beatles) I am on a Beatles kick. There are many MANY great Beatles songs and lot's of great covers by incredible artists. Here are a few that have a tempo that works for me and have made this weeks playlist.


Of course they are running!


1. Hey Jude by: Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton, Sting, Phil Collins (helps me to find my breath and gets me on a steady pace)
2. Help
3. I Saw Her Standing There
4. A Hard Day's Night
5. Twist and Shout
6. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away- Eddie Vedder
6. Come Together-Michael Jackson
8. I've Just Seen A Face- Brandi Carlile
9. All You Need Is Love
10. Got To Get You Into My Life-Glee
11. Imagine-Jack Johnson
12. Across The Universe-Rufus Wainwright (cool down)



What Beatles songs would you add to this playlist?

No comments:

Post a Comment