Tuesday 18 June 2013

Boston Marathon 2013

BOSTON MARATHON 2013
By: Kevin Souter (My husband)

Well now that the dust has settled, the emotions are in check and the legs and body have had enough time to rest and recuperate...it’s finally time to put to print ‘MY’ 2013 Boston Marathon experience.


First let me preface this by saying that it is no easy feat to 1. Exceed the qualifying times for Boston, and 2. Get accepted. Part 2 is more of a fingers crossed kind of feat, but another obstacle nonetheless. My story began last year at the 2012 Toronto Goodlife Marathon. My Goal was to run a 3:00hr marathon (couldn’t get a 3:05hr Training Plan - but hey...what’s another 5mins!!). My Boston Qualifying Time was 3:05hrs or less for the 25-29 years old age group. Training began well and remained on track. There were times where I’d substitute/skip a run based on schedule, and other days when I’d run with Calea and Kaiser enjoying some quality family time. Then with one month to go I began developing some strange and serious pains in my knee. I can only explain it as patella tendonitis without having had it professionally examined. My training then took a back seat to rest. With the run looming, I had created some varying goals: a) Complete the marathon, b) Run a personal best (PB 3:27hrs), c) Dig deep and get under the 3:05 Qualification.
Without going into too much detail, I was able to pull together all my mental resources and previous training to cross the finish line in 3:04.32hrs! The last 6-10 miles were agony. Thankfully, on the last mile with my energy truly waning, from the crowd jumped Calea to speed me up, push me on, and re-inspire me in a time of need. BOSTON here we come!!!


The build-up to Boston was like no other. I felt like a privileged and professional competitor awaiting important information and documents in the mail. All of which was needed at an extremely well run and efficient Packet Pick-Up and Expo.


Several events occurred over the weekend as runners, families and spectators descended on the city of Boston. The energy around the city was incredible amidst a sea of blue and yellow.




Monday April 15th: 117th Boston Marathon
The Boston Marathon is a scenic course that begins in Hopkinton, MA. The day started early with all race competitors being ferried out to the start line by Yellow School Bus! On our drive from the hotel to downtown for an brisk and early 6:00am pick-up/departure time, we saw a hoard of buses merge onto the highway single file before veering towards downtown. We left in enough time in order to beat the rush and find parking for the day. Calea, the willing chauffeur and spectator had a long day ahead of her!! We got parked under Boston Common Gardens and walked up through the park to the buses being filled with eager racers. Each bus quickly filled to capacity within minutes with a steady stream of runners getting aboard. I must have counted at least 50 buses lined up, which were to vacate by 6:00am and be replaced by another 50+ buses. Talk about planning and efficiency!
Well, having got myself a seat, it was time to sit back and enjoy the ride that took us farther and farther away from the finish line to the race start in Hopkinton. I caught myself thinking.....us mugs have got to run the whole way back there....what are we thinking!


We arrived at a local high school/middle school where over the course of the next 2:30hrs was to fill the grounds to capacity with around 27,000 competitors. Being on the first wave of buses, we arrived to rows of clean port-a-loo’s, no line-ups, and space to lay down either under the tented canopies or in the open. As the time passed, it was amazing how quickly the area filled and the lines grew. Prior to the race start I needed a pre-run port-a-loo visit....I stood in line for 45+mins!!!


The announcer made his call, that it was time for the first wave of runners to make their way to the start line. I duly followed suit and followed the crowd, dropping off my bag in the process to meet me at the end of the race. The walk was close to 1K from the “Athlete’s Village” to the start. Little did I know that by the start there was a parking lot FULL of port-a-loo’s for any last minute conveniences!! Noted*.

I found my corral and stood amongst the other anxious runners for the countdown and starting gun. I always get that same little twinge of a feeling that says ‘okay, this is it, for the next 3hrs+ you are going to be running...get ready!’.

BANG! And we are off, the adventure begins. The race itself was an overwhelming experience. As I crossed the start line and the pack began to extend its stride together I could see the dip ahead just teaming with runners. The next 3 miles (5K), stayed pretty compact. I was overcome with a strange emotion all at once in that this goal of mine was actually a reality! That this goal was not only mine, but shared with thousands of others! In all honesty it brought a tear to my eye that encapsulated my joy, excitement, pride and relief to be in such privileged company. My goal in this race was not to strain myself in an effort to attain a PB, but to soak in every ounce of the race, the atmosphere, and the history that precedes this iconic race. My goal was to finish smiling, to finish strong and comfortable, to finish between 3:10 and 3:20hrs.

I ran the race with headphones and music, but found myself turning the volume down or off through portions of the run. Passing through towns along the way, the streets were lined with so much love and support from a city and state that are so proud of ‘their’ race. Being Patriots Day, there was also a plethora of scents swirling in the air from the grills being fired up in celebration!

Running start to finish I can honestly say that it felt like there were supporters lining the streets and sidewalks the whole way. You name it, and it was being handed to the runners from people along the way....orange slices, banana halves, twizzlers, water cups and bottles, towelettes, wipes.

I continued along strong and steady in anticipation of the infamous Heartbreak Hill between miles 20-21. There were a few hills in the build-up leading me to wonder how big and scary was this hill! In fact I ran up it not entirely realizing until I reached the summit, seeing a sign reading that it was over!! huh!!

As good as I felt afterwards, the run was no picnic! There were times I wanted to slow my pace, to stop and walk. It was not that I needed to catch my breath, but that my legs were heavy, lethargic and waning. Mentally it becomes a struggle to push on. Hence why the music serves my inner motivation!! The big city was looming and the cheering was beginning to gain in strength and depth. As I got closer, and having done the 5k a day prior, I knew that the finish line was not too far. I opened up the legs and found a strong rhythm to maintain through the finish line. I felt good, the energy infused my runner’s soul and carried me forward. I could not pick Calea from the crowd visually or vocally but knew she was close by!  
100m....75.....50....25.....5......I crossed the line, to much relief, joy and self-satisfaction with a time of 3:17.02hrs. I DID IT!!! And I finished smiling!!!

I was quickly cattle herded through the Medal station, hydration station, refueling station, before being able to grab my bag that managed to find its own comfortable way back to my arms!! I changed right there on the street and headed towards the family and friends area for a reunion with my wife, my honey, and my biggest supporter - Calea Maeve Souter.
We didn’t stick around too long. We got ourselves back to the car, navigated our way out of downtown Boston (confusing!!), and back to the Hotel. I made a remark to Calea whilst driving that “that was the second police car I saw just hit the lights on and turnaround”. Little did we know, an incident had taken place that would redefine the Boston Marathon forever. While in the hotel, we learned of the shocking tragedy when Calea began receiving concerned texts, and facebook posts regarding our safety. The news on TV quickly confirmed our worst fears. Fortunately we were in the safety of each other's company, in our hotel room. But for so many, they faced horror and despair! We followed the stories for days in search of answers, and witnessed while in Boston the aftermath of a community that stood strong, and held together firm in the faces of any adversaries. BOSTON STRONG!

Calea and I both plan to qualify, and once again return for the 2014 Boston Marathon.

Things I Learned
  • Be careful not to overstuff that plastic bag provided at the EXPO. It tears easy! It is also the only bag accepted to check-in your bag at the Athlete’s Village pre-race.
  • If your bag tears, bring your stuff anyway to the Athlete’s Village where you can have staff either duct tape your bag or provide a replacement. (This was a big concern for me the night prior having tossed my torn up bag)
  • The Athlete’s Village is outside. Bring warm clothing, blankets, waterproof clothing, something to comfortably lay/sit on while on the grass! It is obviously weather dependant BUT remember you may be there for 2+hrs from 6:30/7:00am.
  • Better idea: Bring clothing you are willing to discard. All left clothing gets collected and donated!
  • Get to the bathroom as soon as you can before the lines get bigger and bigger!!
  • Don’t fret too much, there are port-a-loo’s near the start line also.

  • Run your own race. I took this advice to heart from a Professional Racer who competed in and won the 1 Mile Race. This is even more important knowing you are grouped with hundreds of runners that run your pace (qualifying pace) or faster. Don’t get caught up in chasing the pack if you haven’t trained for it!
  • Wear sunscreen! My shoulder on my right side only (sun to the East) took the worst of it and blistered. Painfully sore, and ugly tan lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment